Napeague, New York to the easternmost tip of New York State at Montauk Point Light. The hamlet encompasses a small area about half way between the two points. Montauk is max frisch montauk pdf download major tourist destination and has six state parks. It is particularly famous for its fishing, claiming to have more world saltwater fishing records than any other port in the world.
Montauk derives its name from the Montaukett tribe, an Algonquian-speaking tribe who lived in the area. Two decades later, in 1637, the Montauketts sided for their own protection with the English in the Pequot War in Connecticut. In the aftermath the Montauketts were to sell Gardiners Island. In 1653, Narragansetts under Ninigret attacked and burned the Montaukett village, killing 30 and capturing one of Chief Wyandanch’s daughters. Further purchase agreements were entered into in 1661, 1672 and 1686 which, among other things, allowed a group of Easthampton townsmen to graze cattle on the Montaukett lands. While some lands were protected in the agreements as forest land, for the most part all of Montauk was maintained by the townsmen as a private livestock and fisheries operation.
In 1660, Wyandanch’s widow sold all of Montauk from Napeague to the tip of the island for 100 pounds to be paid in 10 equal installments of “Indian corn or good wampum at six to a penny”. In 1686, English New York Governor Thomas Dongan issued a patent creating the governing system for East Hampton. The patent did not extend beyond Napeague to Montauk. This lack of authority has formed the basis for various control disputes ever since. During the Siege of Boston in the Revolutionary War, a British ship visited Fort Pond Bay in 1775 in search of provisions—notably cattle. In 1781, the British HMS Culloden ran aground near what today is called Culloden Point while pursuing a French frigate.
The ship was scuttled, but its remains were discovered in the 1970s. The first hamlet of Montauk was built on Fort Pond Bay near what is now the train station for the Long Island Rail Road. In 1792, Congress authorized construction of the Montauk Lighthouse. In 1839, slaves who had seized the schooner La Amistad came ashore in the hamlet looking for provisions after being told by the white crew that they had returned to Africa. American authorities were alerted, and the slaves were recaptured and ultimately freed in a historically significant trial.
A judgment was entered in 1851 against the Trustees of the Freeholders and Commonalty of the Town of Easthampton, and on March 9, 1852, a deed to Montauk was given to plaintiffs Henry P. Hedges and others, because their predecessors had contributed the money to purchase Montauk from the native Montaukett Indians in the 1600s. This deed caused the lands covered by the Dongan Patent to be split, leaving the still unsettled lands at Montauk without government. Stephen Talkhouse was displayed in 1867 by P.
Barnum as “the last king of the Montauks. Talkhouse became famous for his walks from Indian Fields to New York City. The deed releasing claim to Montauk was entered on March 9, 1852. 10 each, and in one case one of the tribesmen’s houses was burned down. The first train from the Austin Corbin extension of the Long Island Rail Road pulled into Montauk in 1895, the land having been bought in 1882. Montauk Manor, built by Carl G.
Hither Hills State Park in the west and Montauk Point State Park in the east. He planned to turn Montauk into the “Miami Beach of the North”, a “Tudor village by the sea”. In the Great Hurricane of 1938, water flooded across Napeague, turning Montauk into an island. During World War II the United States Navy bought most of the east end, including Montauk Manor, to turn it into a military base. Fort Pond Bay became a seaplane base. In 1951, sport fisherman Frank Mundus began to lead charter fishing trips out of Lake Montauk, initially looking for bluefish but soon finding that fishing for sharks was more lucrative.